The Diabetes Center offers a team approach to help patients manage their diabetes and live healthy lives.
Patients work with their personal physicians, nurses, certified diabetes educators, and registered dietitians to develop a personal management plan that works for them.
The Center’s self-management education program has been awarded recognition by the American Association of Diabetes Educators in accordance with the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support Programs.
How do Diabetes Educators help diabetes patients?
- Provide basic information about diabetes and how to manage it.
- Train patients and caregivers to use diabetes devices such as blood glucose meters, insulin pens, insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors.
- Teach problem solving strategies and skills to help patients self manage diabetes.
- Motivate patients to set and achieve behavior-changing goals.
- Provide nutrition education including meal planning, weight loss strategies and other disease-specific nutrition counseling.
- Work in partnership with physicians to manage medications.
- Educate patients on techniques to reduce the risk of acute and chronic complications.
- Help patients develop emotional coping skills.
Available Diabetes Services
Diabetes Center Services are available in Sheboygan with appointments to accommodate most schedules.
- Individual appointments/counseling
- Medical nutrition therapy (pre-diabetes or diabetes)
- Gestational diabetes
- Blood sugar monitoring/meter training
- Insulin injection training/management
- Insulin pump program/education
- Group class education (Medicare)
- Foot clinic
Take the Prediabetes Self Test
For more information on the Diabetes Center, call (920) 459-5192.
Foot clinic services are available to patients with and without diabetes.
- Complete diabetic assessment, education and nail clipping - $30
- Non-Diabetic nail clipping only - $25
To make an appointment at HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital Diabetes Services call (920) 459-5192.
Our Registered Dietitions can help you learn how to eat to improve your health and manage or prevent disease.
Medical Nutrition Therapy teaches you how to live a healthier lifestyle.
Sharps Disposal Program