Maximize your quality of life.
The inpatient therapy team at HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital is dedicated to helping patients make a full recovery. HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital provides physical, occupational and speech therapy, as well as lymphedema management.
The caring, compassionate therapists at HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital are an integral part of the patient’s comprehensive care and work in collaboration with the patients’ healthcare team including their physicians, nurses, social workers, care managers and dietary managers to ensure the highest quality of care. Our therapists also provide feedback about prior level of function, special care needs, discharge plans and possible home modifications.
The goal of inpatient physical therapy is to restore normal movement and function after a patient undergoes surgery or suffers from an illness or injury. Our dedicated team of licensed physical therapists uses hands-on treatment, exercise and gait training to help you regain independence. Physical therapy helps:
- Restore normal function and coordination
- Improve mobility
- Relieve pain
- Prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities and patient suffering from injuries or disease
Occupational therapy helps prepare patients to successfully perform daily activities, such as dressing, cooking, eating, working and exercising. Our highly-skilled occupational therapy team will customize a program to reduce or eliminate your symptoms and pain through:
- Post-surgery therapy
- Activities of daily living such as dressing and bathing
- Range-of-motion and strengthening exercises
There are times in life when things happen... a stroke, traumatic brain injury, neurological disease or cancer. These may affect your communication, thinking or swallowing. Our skilled speech therapists are specifically trained to restore and rehabilitate these very personal areas in people’s lives.
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Traumatic brain injury
- Parkinson’s disease
- Swallowing dysfunctions
- Aphasia (expressive and receptive language disorders)
- Apraxia (motor control impairments)
- Dysarthria (muscular weakness)
- Social communication issues
- Attention/concentration difficulties
- Clinical swallow evaluations
- Videofluoroscopic swallow studies
- Oropharyngeal and laryngeal strengthening programs
- Safe swallowing strategies and aspiration precautions
- Diet analysis and modification
HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital is home to occupational therapists who are trained and certified in lymphedema therapy. They treat edema related to dysfunction of the lymph system caused by surgery, radiation treatment for cancer, infection and other causes. By employing lymphatic massage, active exercise and pressure garments, edema can be effectively reduced to allow patients to function more fully in daily activities.
Home Health and Outpatient Therapy
Often times, therapy is also needed when patients leave the hospital. HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital offers home health therapy to patients upon discharge in order to further progress their function in their own home setting. The Prevea Therapy Institute offers outpatient therapy services for continued care.